Monday, December 8, 2014

The Ivy League Essay

I always hesitate to post "great college essays" because I'm afraid that my students will unintentionally write in a similar way or on a similar topic.  That said, as my seniors bear down to finish those last remaining college applications, I thought I should post the college essay that got it's author into every Ivy League school. 

Here is what I love about this essay:

1. The author talks about his love of music in such a loving and simple way.  "My haven for solace in and away from home is in the world of composers, harmonies and possibilities.  My musical haven has shaped my character and without it, my life would not be half as wonderful as it is today."

2. The author talks about his longevity in music.  He has been playing the violin for nine years.  I feel as though my mantra, "quality over quantity," in regards to extracurricular activities is highlighted here.

3. The author uses the lessons he has learned in music to inspire other areas of his life.  From being in a high school musical to being a part of a Doo Wop Group to leadership roles, this young man is able to see the impact of one interest across everything he does.

No matter what my students write about, I encourage them to keep their writing simple, to write about something they are passionate about (that passion will shine through!), and to connect what they have learned to all areas of their life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment