Monday, March 2, 2015

Dear 9th Graders: College Applications Can Wait!

I get an inordinate number of 9th grade students and their parents in my office.  Perhaps it is because I work at a private school or that I work at an international school with predominately host country students* or perhaps it's because I'm in Asia (sorry to stereotype, but Asian students are very driven).  That said, my advice to them mirrors the advice given in this Huffington Post article.  Here is the breakdown:

1. Find something you enjoy doing and then keep doing it.
2. If a teacher gives you advice, take it.
3. Take some risks.
4. Don't let your strengths limit you.
5. Ask questions.

If underclass students follow this advice, they have the potential to succeed in the college admissions process simply because they are showing passion, they will build good habits, they will learn to listen and internalize the advice they are given, they will thrive, they will fail, they will learn to break boundaries, and they will learn how to be their best self. 


*I would like to clarify this statement.  I have found that Korean parents send their Korean students to international schools because they have an eye on a better life for their students, even from a very young age.  How their life is better I cannot say because I am not in their situation, but I assume that multiple language ability, being educated at an internationally recognized college or university, and confidence in multiple cultures are among the top reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment