I've been thinking for some time about starting a college counseling blog as a way to help my students navigate the seemingly scary process of college admissions. Here we are at the beginning...a very good place to start!
Since I'm often on Facebook connecting with colleagues and friends, I see so many articles about the good and the bad associated with the college process. Working in an international community, I often hear the different forms of advice that each culture gives to their children in preparation for this process. As a teacher, college counselor, and former college admissions officer, I am doing my best to prepare my students through college counseling workshops and one-on-one meetings. I'm sure, to my students, that this endless string of advice from social media, parents, peers, and even their college counselor sounds more like a blaring siren in an already loud world.
From my point of view, there is far too much stress in this process - but, I tell my students everyday, there doesn't have to be! The college process is one of self discovery, of learning how to be proud of your talents and passions, of writing about the most meaningful part of who you are, of finding a home for the next four years where you will grow and thrive. What can be more exciting than that!
At the end of the day, I believe in HAPPINESS and this is something I want to instill in each and every one of my students. Happiness in the college process, but also happiness in where they will spend the next four years, happiness in their search for knowledge and, most importantly, happiness in who they are as individuals.
Below is a speech I wrote and delivered to elementary, middle, and high school parents about the happiness that can be found in the college process.
What Makes You Happy?
No comments:
Post a Comment